Sunday, May 10, 2015

I saved some lil dudes!

In the same week that I said goodbye to Poe I came across 2 baby guinea pigs that were dumped in a parking lot. The car guards were looking after them. They thought they were hamsters and were giving them hamster food. Their cage was very small and was filthy with an algae filled water bottle. After talking to the car guards and making sure they are not out to make a quick buck, I took the babies home with me. 2 boys.

My plan was never to keep them, I contacted the Little Critters Rescue Club in Johannesburg and arranged to drop them off in a couple of days. I only had them for 2 days but they were so charming. I'd forgotten how energetic baby guinea pigs were! They were very skittish, but they still tried to take food from my hand and it didn't take them long to wheek loudly for food! I could see that with just some love and care, they'd be delightful pets. It was clear they hadn't been well cared for, so I tried to spoil them as much as I could. They behaved like they've never had vegetables before! I also took them out to the grass, but they didn't seem to realize they could eat it.



I kept them separated from my ladies of course, here's one meeting Sylbie through a fence. They were very interested in the girls, but Sylbie and Tiramisu mostly ignored them. I sometime felt that they were rolling their eyes at how energetic and noisy they were - these young whipper snappers! He looks really big in these photos, but the babies were half the size of my girls, the rescue estimated them to be about 4 months.




Photo from Little Critters Rescue Club


They eventually went to a wonderful home together, with a large outside run. The lady who did home check for the rescue said it was one of the nicest homes she's seen :) keep well little dudes! It was a lucky chance meeting and I was glad I could help. May you both grow up to be majestic plump potatoes... 

No comments:

Post a Comment